Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There's no place like home...

I headed out to Lipan this past weekend! Now, for all of my 'city' friends, I imagine your tilting your head as your reading this ;) Lipan is about 60 miles west of Fort Worth, its a tiny little town of about 400 people, and it is where I grew up, on a cattle farm. Lipan holds a piece of my heart, it will always be a special place to me.

The reason for my visit was because every May we have the Allison Baptist Church homecoming, this is basically a family reunion for me. I have been attending this homecoming since my mother was pregnant with me. My grandmother, great grandparents and even great great grandparents belonged to Allison, so it holds a lot of family history for me. Behind the church is a cemetery where my grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends are buried. I love visiting the cemetery, I head straight for my Grandmother so that I can have my yearly conversation with her. My grandmother was by far, one of the most influential people in my life. She was about my height 5'1 and very tiny, but we called her Bigmama, go figure! She was very feisty (I not only get my height from her, but also my attitude!) and she was also an amazing mother and grandmother. Family and God were the most important things in life to her, it's what she lived for, I can't even begin to explain how much I miss her, and how sad it makes me that she didn't make it to see me grow up. I imagine it will be her that meets me at the pearly gates ;)

It was really a fun weekend for our family, we traveled with my mother, which was awesome to spend the weekend with her as well. I don't get enough time with my mom, she is one of the busiest people I know! It was nice to see her relax a bit ;) I hope ya'll enjoyed your weekend as well!
Here are a few pics from the Homecoming...






























1 comment:

  1. So sad I didn't make it to church sunday! Looks like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete